Friday, March 21, 2008

State Reports

One of the things that I love about our co-op is that the kids get experiences that they don't get at home. In their writing class they were assigned a state, and they had to do a brochure and a float including all kinds of information about their state. One thing that made me happy was that they really took ownership in the project and worked on it at home and asked me to help them, rather than me nagging them to get it done. Some of the skills that I was thrilled to see them develop was making sure they had all the information that the teacher asked for (she had given them a list of things to include). They also set weekly goals with their teacher (who is amazing) and it was so cute to hear them talking about making sure they met their goal. These are all skills that I value and it is nice to have them reinforced by someone else. They finished both the brochure and the floats this week. They came out very cute. I'd like to post the brochure too if I can figure out how to do that. They were the first to finish in their class. In a couple weeks they will be presenting them to all the parents.

Annsley got the state of Florida and included things about the beach, the floral gardens, Disney World. They also had to have the state motto, bird, flag, map, and a few other things.





Seth got the state of Wisconsin. Some of the things he wrote about were football (of course), cheese, and all the lakes. We included these things on the float.














3 comments:

Tina in WA said...

What a fun creative idea. :o) Their floats look wonderful.

~Tina

my5wolfcubs said...

Love the WI display! I grew up in IL and we did some camping & vacationing in WI! The water-skiing Playmobil is really cute -- we love Playmobil!
Lee

my5wolfcubs said...

I meant to comment on the FL display also! My family took several vacations to Florida -- great float!
Lee